Dissertation House, July 2023
Writing a proposal, thesis, dissertation, journal article?
The Commons : 329
Date & Time
July 5, 2023, 9:00 am – 4:30 pm
Dissertation House is BACK! Dissertation House is a program hosted for UMBC students only. Students who participate in this program will spend each day writing, and sharing ideas about their proposals, master thesis or doctoral dissertations. Students will learn effective time-management skills; learn how to set small manageable goals, and will meet with a dissertation coach in one-on-one consultations to discuss and address obstacles that might prevent them from completing their degrees.
The Dissertation House activities focus on areas where students typically have difficulty: conceptualizing a topic, writing a literature review, transitioning from a proposal to a dissertation, analyzing data, writing the last chapter, and editing.This program provide you with a writing coach to help work towards your proposal, master thesis or doctoral dissertation, plus it provides daily mini lectures to talk about how to improve your time management skills.
Dissertation House in July will be hosted in person in The Commons room 329. This events runs from Wednesday, July 5th to Friday, July 7th, 2023, from 9 AM to 4:30 PM (each day).
Limited spots are available, we give priority to early applications.
How to apply?
- Create a single word document with the following settings:
- font size 11-12 pt
- 1 inch margins
- Divide it into 2 sections - Part 1 and Part 2
- In Part 1, type your header information on one page:
- Telephone numbers (mobile, home, office)
- E-mail address
- Academic Program
- Year in program (1st year, 5th Year, etc)
- Type up a brief description (maximum 2 pages) that describes the project that you wish to accomplish during the Dissertation House period.
- In Part 2, type up the following:
- Summary of the project, including research question(s), data, texts, and methods
- Amount completed on the project to date
- Any obstacles you have encountered that hinders completion of the dissertation
- Email application to email@example.com using the subject line format: "Dissertation House Summer 2023 Application: FirstName LastName"
Applications will not be reviewed or accepted outside of the application enrollment period.
- The Dissertation House runs from 9 AM – 4:30 PM, for three days, Wednesday, July 5th to Friday, July 7, 2023.
- Students must plan to attend the full sessions, for each of the 3 days.
- The daily schedule includes 2 mini-lectures and 5 hours of writing per day.
- The Dissertation House is free for UMBC’s graduate students.
- There are 18 spaces available for the Dissertation House.
- Details regarding eligibility can be found on the application page of the website for the Dissertation House.
If you application is accepted, you will receive an acceptance notice via email and additional details about the Dissertation House. Applications for dissertation house are due May 31st, 2023.
To ask questions about accessibility or request accommodations, please contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow At least two weeks' advance notice to provide seamless access.
Photo by Joanna Kosinska on Unsplash